Buttons and needles

12:00 PM


I am not a fan of sewing or home economics related and even had so many brushes with my home economics teacher, I wish when I grew up I would not have anything to do with it. And never say never, really. 

Just thought I pen this down lest one day I forgot how three generation's worth got captured in a single picture. 

My mom's sewing basket has travelled time with us, from the days of painstakingly cross stitching pieces of embroidery and the hours! I remember taking her sewing basket out in the afternoons and trying to make a mess of her needles, threads and whatever I could find within...surely, it seemed like a treasure trove to a child. 

Growing up, I never had issues with zippers, missing buttons or hemming my clothes because there's always mom. It marvels me how many occasions this single sewing basket has saved me from embarrassment and last minute quick fixes - I am the kinda chor lor girl who would pick at the hemlines for the heck of it and end up with the skirt half unhemmed. 

Just last week, I saw down by C's cot, picking out colour threads to sew his favourite buttons onto a napkin. For the first time in decades, I had the patience to finish my horrible sewing and making sure those buttons were fastened tight enough and feeling most accomplished over my piece of work. 

The circle of life indeed, and the days ahead looks like I need my own sewing basket to create memories with. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts