What do you wear to work?

12:00 PM

One of the first world problems I face is not having enough to wear despite my already bursting wardrobe. Given that every black is different and not every fashion fad finds its way into my wardrobe, I do get the monday blues and spend a great deal of time in the morning half awake flipping through the hangers and getting almost annoyed with myself for not shopping more.

With that, I try to keep things simple for work and accessorize a ton so the same outfit would be different in the eyes of the rest. Thankfully, through the years women's office wear have evolved with times and gone are the days where blazer suits are en vogue. For sure, there will still be a handful who are sticklers for powersuits but generally the workplace has embraced alot more flexibility!

I remember my first desk bound job as an intern was nerve wrecking, I scoured the racks of G200 and even OG for a decent powersuit - Career managers at universities should be updated that these no longer apply and even when I went for internship, it made me look just like an oddball in an office of seemingly more fashionable people! Truth be told in my years of working, the only few times I donned one was for a customer facing event or really because all my other work jackets were sent for wash.

Years went by and now, I swear by comfort - better still if I need not iron it. #secretisout I have swopped tops and bottoms for mostly dresses which makes slipping it on and piling on accessories a breeze. While I adore loud prints, peplums and skater dresses, I keep to the classics that weather any fashion storm.

Here's a showdown of a typical work week.





Monday is my idea of a fabulous day to dress in black when I feel bored or a navy blue/blue variant to remind myself of how blue it is. Accessories are usually the most worn this day.



Tuesday gets a weebit better because I am nearing Wednesday, usually the colours and prints would start.



Wednesday gets a little less blue and hemlines do get shorter, so do the fit gets more tailored! Midweek drinks are always the perfect reason for dressing up this day.



Thursday is godsent when I have survived the whole week with just another to go.



Friday is hardly formal, usually in a jean skirt with a top thrown on or an uber cutsey kind of dress that I match with flats.

And the cycle repeats. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hi
    Not sure whether blog shops here contribute to this casual office wear. If you look at Shanghai, Taipei & HK, those gals there do dress in the formal black/navy/gray & white blazer outfit for interviews.They are faithful followers of the office wear trend from Japan. If an SG girl were to land an interview in those cities wearing casual wear, I don't think they will take that person seriously.

    And what happened to the pant suit? Very few gals wear it now to the office,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I'm not sure about blogshops contributing to the trend but pant suits and blazer suits aren't all that common anymore. For me, if I need to attend an interview or an important meeting, throwing on a blazer with a dress also works. :)

      Delete

Popular Posts