Maldives: Worthy of a second honeymoon

11:19 AM

DSC_0537


An over due entry on Maldives...it's ALREADY September. Before I go into where did the whole month go, let me bring myself back to paradise. From Singapore to Maldives, there are two flight options - one by SQ and the other by Tiger Air. There was a good deal by SQ so off we were on our national carrier reaching slightly short of midnight. Being 3 hours behind local time, we gained some time!

A stayover on the airport island is inevitable and thank god we chose to because it was raining cats and dogs.

The morning view that greeted us was a gorgeous shade of blue.

DSC_0542
 
We saw a couple sunbathing and the man enjoying a sand spa of some sort. No bikinis allowed on the beach but naked men are.

DSC_0625

Maafushi Island a 2 hour public ferry ride away was worth a visit - to do touristy activities at half the prices of resorts.

DSC_0717

The first time I actually bothered to admire how crisp the US dollar notes are and a stark reminder of "In God We Trust".

DSC_0679

We found that postcard worthy famous coconut tree that grows horizontally and stole a snap!

DSC_0653

Seagulls were also spotted on the island, a super tame one that reminded me how rambunctious and overpampered my furprince is.

IMG_4660

Whoops, attempting a bikini shot and failed quite horribly here. :P

IMG_4517

We managed to squeeze in a visit to the sandbanks in our 30 minute jetski rental session - phew! Saved us a good USD 25 each for a separate excursion. Well really, sandbanks are just miniature beaches and they're so small, I probably finish walking from one end to the other in 3 minutes flat. Yes you do get the idea.

IMG_4474

My virgin jet ski experience that ended so unglamourously in the sea, no thanks to my reckless daredevil driver pictured above. AHEM.

DSC_0740

I fell in love with blue this holiday. All shades of it in a single frame.

DSC_0784

Will you bring me to the moon?

DSC_0860

We could have tried to squeeze too many activities, after failing to catch dolphins we headed off for sunset fishing! That's our dhoni behind us, mostly open air and no life jackets provided - that sounds like a proper fisherman!

DSC_0921

The hubba with his xth catch, he had better luck that me with all the fishes. My luck stopped after the first catch. A grilled fish dinner ensued after the rockety boat ride that was probably the scariest I have ever attempted but I had memories to last a lifetime.

Our time on Maafushi Island ended after two full days of fun and off we were for a pampering good time on a resort!

DSC_1755

Ta-dah, our selected resort - Shangrila Maldives. It was a pity the skies were not kind to us when we arrived!

DSC_1019

Being buggied to our water villa - hoorah!

DSC_1028

I could live in my bathroom if it looked like this - or better still, this set the standards for my dream bathroom.

DSC_1054

And that bed with that high ceiling - *swoons* Fly me back to Maldives already?

DSC_1064

A welcome bouquet by the lovely folks at welcome center.

DSC_1103

Even in the drizzle, we were aching to see the island! With our bicycles, we rode all over and this reminds me of home somewhat - that lush greenery.

DSC_1141

I figured my cycling skills were honed by those two days alone!

DSC_1421

There are a range of complimentary activities on the island - from seeing the coconut climbers in action to attempting to climb one like Hubba and coral planting...we had fun indulging in the free and paid ones!



DSC_1545

Finally caught dolphins in action! And they even performed tricks for us.



DSC_1562

Our explorations even brought us to restricted grounds, like the football training ground of their staff!
DSC_1564
Spice garden where they grow all the delicious smelling herbs and plants for the restaurants.



DSC_1577

The highest point on the island - 5.1 metres above sea level had us laughing in fits. I suppose this is why Maldives is worth a visit because the rumours of them sinking could be earlier than thought.

DSC_1573

The gift of a beautiful sunset too, just the Hubba and I, arms interlocked and gazing at it. It is moments like these that make my bucket list grow extra long. :P

DSC_1270

The only time I had time to even don the bikini was to pose for pictures like that...haha...and of course...

IMG_4723

Snorkel! I won't say I enjoy snorkelling very much because I don't even count swimming as a favourite sport. The sea and I aren't best of friends - and I say so with a lifejacket on. Cannot quite imagine if I went without one. With reef scars to match, for sure it was memorable.

IMG_4739


Under the sea!

IMG_4732

For all of 5 seconds, I finally got my underwater shot!

DSC_1184

Night time was particularly enchanting, infact the skies turn dark alot earlier than in the city.

DSC_1189

Another shade of blue I so love.


DSC_1658

Another must do on the island of Vilingili is to indulge in a romantic seaside dinner!

DSC_1701

Leaving early in the morning was a pain - and why did we even book a noon flight home?!



DSC_1716

Goodbye Shangrila, you have been nothing short of amazing.

DSC_1765 

The amazing journey ended the moment we boarded our domestic flight bound for Male City. 

I never thought Maldives could be this memorable and we were the exact same ones who waved this off as an expensive place to do nothing - I think I'll retract that. Dying to return if the piggy bank would allow!


X

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts