Sensory Play with tested recipes!

12:00 PM

Sensory play is the buzzword for children of this millenium, I don't remember growing up with this term much less knowing what sensory play is about. For sure, it would have been a similar concept. I love how there are SO many like minded moms around and the internet is a haven for all these recipes, I've tried as much as possible to use baby friendly ingredients.






DSC_7330


Sensory bins



I tried to find a theme with the bins I put together but...they always end up being a mix of things I find around the house.





My first seaside bin with a bunch of plastic sandplay tools and colourful blocks.


Then it became anything that I think he'd like. Turns out I was half right about his preferences, the things that he was denied previously (the torch light, pink crepe paper that he was shredding to bits...and a button).








DSC_7808




All you need is a random metal tin and fur balls! I was definitely more excited about it than him.





DSC_7782


Aluminum foil too, was oddly not such a great toy as I'd expected.


DSC_7757


Homemade play dough

3-4 cups flour
1/2 cup warm water
1-2 drops food colouring




DSC_7780




After pinching and throwing, I was left with a mess to clean up. Looks like he is not too ready for playdough just yet! My cutters can wait!


DSC_6804










Homemade playdough version 2


DSC_6870






The second try was definitely a better success than the first, I kept them in the fridge and played with it again a good month later and it was still soft and pliable!




DSC_6854


We had a total of two separate sessions with this, the first time round was less interactive because I let him explore the textures and I fragranced it with pandan.


DSC_6862




DSC_6897






The second was a blast! It became a family activity where we sat a total of 90 mins (gasp) reliving our childhood and introducing it into C's childhood. Voted best family time activity by the family.






DSC_9521


Homemade rainbow rice
1 cup rice
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
Food colouring



DSC_9543


Great for that fine pincer grip!


DSC_9539


It all started out very tame and things got messy (as expected) and when rice throwing started, I knew it signaled the end of our sensory play session.


DSC_8587




Jello and agar agar were both fun affairs! A pity my Jell-O was too runny, it ended up a watery mess but he had fun scooping and creating a mess (as always).




DSC_7219




The BEST sensory play ever, waterbeads! I got mine from Daiso!


DSC_7246


I had a good 30 minutes of silence and it did not seem to bore him watching the beads bounce off. But I would caution about paying 200% attention to your toddler to ensure none of it gets consumed.






DSC_6742






Edible Waterbeads






DSC_6750

Big sago pearls are the answer to these and I coloured them twice! The first time ended up too starchy. How awesome is this lasting throughout the whole day and after two plays, we binned it.

DSC_6764
Definitely a lot more child friendly than the waterbeads, the only grouse is the colouring does stick so one ends up with coloured fingers (but nothing that a sprinkle of baking soda cannot fix!)


DSC_6765


I'm in love with those colours!!!!







DSC_7164


My waterbaby probably ranks this tops. He ended up so drenched but his wide smiles are more than worth it.


DSC_7166 DSC_7212








Painting with....Popsicles!




His hand muscles probably will not be developed for a while and I do not have thick grip brushes at home so I thought of using our existing ice popsicles as colouring tools.


DSC_0018


The hot weather was just too much for us and the popsicles too. They melted so fast and was a great painting tool!


DSC_0025


Doodling in progress.


DSC_0019


My little Picasso in the making eh? Best part of it? Tear and throw!


DSC_0048


These are so easy to clean up, I'm definitely repeating this.






Ice Chalk Play!


Corn Flour
Colouring
Water


DSC_4252




I LOVE THIS. Personally.


DSC_4266




It's painting and anti gravitational. The paint is melty and solid at once, does not create such a mess as expected and....the colours! My range of food colouring goes pastel...major love!


DSC_4272


I had so much fun, I repeated it for a less impressed bub.




Coloured Pasta


Less messy than rice and it was easier to teach colours.


1 cup pasta
1 tsp of vinegar
Food Colouring



DSC_6296





DSC_4110




DSC_6311

Corn kernels and beans

DSC_6317




DSC_6805


I even replaced the pasta with googly eyes and buttons for variety.






I hope you enjoyed this as much as I had testing and trying the recipes available. Those minutes of peace I get are so precious, I wish he'd be so enthralled with these homemade play fun activities for long.







You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts