#ThankyouLKY

11:00 AM


The picture above is possibly too happy for the caption. Just the other night I cooked up a storm in my tiny kitchen for my sis and BIL in our supposed weekly cook out sessions. As we tucked into dinner we were just talking about what Singapore meant.I am not one who writes as beautifully as many out there and just last night I was pondering about how blessed we have been.

I am a by product of a successful "Two Child Policy" born in the 1980s. Till today my parents muse why they were so obedient to the government and looking back they should have pushed the envelope a little more and had a third. Back then, Singapore was fluorishing, the city was already immaculately clean and education was provided without a glitch. Somewhere in between bubble gum was made illegal, Singa the lion appeared and Kumar on Rara Show was canned. I was educated locally, never once entertained the thought of going overseas to study because the parents were pragmatic enough to warn "If you do not study hard enough, just go to work." For sure at some point I cursed and swore at the system - PSLE, O Levels, A Levels and finally University were frustrating milestones to overcome. Yet looking back, this made me bilingual, adore literature and history and best of all, said I survived our harsh educational system.

Every single time I travel, I actually look forward to returning to Changi Airport not just because it is world class and efficient but it made me feel at home. We may have had made architectural jokes out of the Esplanade, lamented over the fact that our tourist attractions hardly have historical attachments but travelling made me realise that was what made us Uniquely Singapore. For sure the Vatican City, Great Wall of China and even Acropolis are awe inspiring, and all we have is a concrete jungle in a garden city which does pale in comparison. I suppose that is what makes Singapore, Singapore then.

We may detract every now and then and complain about the policies, ERP, taxes and the government but for every wrong done, there were nine other right. If not for Mr Lee's vision we would have remained a third world country, I may have grown up running amok in a kampung staying in an attap house and possibly never seen the world beyond the boundaries of my district.

Our paths never once crossed though alot has been said and written about Mr Lee and his relationship with his late wife is posthumously reported making him a role model for all men and married couples alike. The undying devotion makes us question how much does it really take to maintain a relationship and stay so in love. I posed the question to Hubba the other day, do the traditional values of keeping two steps behind and placing the husband and children above one's self still stay true today? I have a lifetime to work on my marriage then.

Thank you Mr Lee for making Singapore a place I call home, an education, a place so safe that I can roam free on the streets past midnight, giving us affordable public housing so I need not rent all my life and above all, I am proud to be Singaporean. RIP.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts