Five things you should not gift to a full month baby

11:03 AM

Okay, so I had this in my draft folder since he was a month old. Goodness me what procrastination does and with so many friends around me popping I thought I would revive it and publish it so...you know, it'd help someone at least!









13912415_10153624466172047_1816753097520341427_n


And here's a throw back shot of him at 1 month, boy I miss those days!




I can't believe how many of these things I have given out during the full month celebrations I have attended much to the chagrin of the couple until I had my own. Never too late I suppose?


Disclaimer: It is a case of personal preference else why would these things still be retailed cos clearly someone is buying them.




1. Newborn/0-3 month gift sets/clothes



Granted the parents would have bought enough to cloth the baby for the first six months at least and if they're kiasu and a shoppaholic, the wardrobe would've extended to a year or more.


Plus, first month babies do go through a growth spurt at 3 weeks hence those chubster cheeks so 0-3 month clothes could already be too small by then.




I received one that was so poorly made, my already chubby chub chub had issues getting himself outta it! Perhaps a $20 angpow would have had better mileage! 
 
2. Recycled gift sets


This gets me under the skin. The yellowing scotch tape marks are telltale signs and removing them IS a bitch. Don't think the recipient won't know and then it is a case of whether I should pay the karma forward or not. Tsk.





3. Handprint/footprint keepsakes


I am #sorrynotsorry not liking these - heck, I am so not into the breastmilk charms or hair brushes made of his first snip of hair OR umbilical cord keepsakes.




Imagine a schedule or pumping, feeding, changing diapers, showering and trying to remain sane - where does imprinting his first handprint or footprint fit in? You get the drift.




4. Diapercakes


Unless one knows exactly which brand and size of diapers the baby uses, this really isn't recommended. Plus repackaged diapers that are fastened by rubberbands aren't all that hygienic though I really have to admit these are too pretty to dismantle.




5. Stuffed toys


Oh these get to me so bad. 

Dustmites and potential suffocation.


Babies probably get associated with cute furry toys alot - not sure why, but as parents I have issues giving him that as a toy.




The pile of soft toys sit lonely in my living room but I suppose some children will get lucky this christmas.




Whew, five things.




Of course angpows and vouchers would be nice but we have received non cash items that turned out very useful too! Oh, together with some other things I thought would be useful!




Wet wipes

I was almost amused when I received at least 10 packets of these but boy are they useful!


Educational Toys

Apart from the fact I need to store and remember where they are stored, these would come in handy later!


Diapers

In proper packaging of course. This and formula milk are the two biggest expenditures. Nuff said.


Milk bottles and teats

For practicality reasons, these would be so so so handy down the road - teats should be changed every 6-8 weeks and bottles too depending if glass or plastic. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts